Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Authentic Assessment

Only multiple measures of achievement
can provide an accurate picture of student
learning and school success (Guilfoyle, 2006)

Looking back over my own educational career, I cannot recall a single score I earned on an achievement test. My ACT and teacher certification scores are long since forgotten. However, I do recall making a letter opener in 7th grade. It had a walnut handle with a stainless steel blade. It was horrible. I couldn’t get the rivets in the handle to tighten the blade securely to the wood. This flimsy letter opener only lasted a couple of weeks before breaking in two. I officially knew that I wouldn’t make much of a carpenter.

When I was 16, I took two tests to get my driver’s license. The first one was a written test to prove I knew the rules of the road. The second part was a driving portion where I was responsible for demonstrating my driving skills. I couldn’t parallel park, so I didn’t pass the exam. I don’t recall the questions on the written test, but I’ve never forgotten failing the driving portion.

I wanted that license in a big way so I practiced parallel parking like crazy in front of my parent’s house and passed the driving demonstration with flying colors. This is a good example of authentic assessment.

Authentic assessment measures what one can do well, and what one does… not so well. And, that’s OK.


What is Authentic Assessment?

Authentic assessment is “A form of assessment in which students are asked to perform real-world tasks that demonstrate meaningful application of essential knowledge and skills,” (Mueller, 2008).


Having been an educator since 1992, I have worked with students with incredible artistic ability. One student in particular could draw with amazing accuracy and detail. His graphic art talent on the computer was enviable too. Although this student was recognizably a gifted artist, his reading ability was limited to relatively easy texts. In general, his academic skills were many grades behind his same age peers. Using standardized measurement assessments, his annual yearly progress would be nil.

By giving credence only standardized assessment, a great disservice would be done to this student and many other talented folks who excel differently from the established norm. Within the context of authentic assessment and portfolios, such students are encouraged to reach their highest reasonable and obtainable potential.

OK, what can we use instead of high-stakes end of the year assessments. Well, how about student portfolios?

What are Student Portfolios?

Portfolios are collections of selected student work representing an array of performance (Education Research Consumer Guide, 1993)


My letter opener could have been an artifact for a portfolio. Sometimes it’s appropriate to have evidence of what one can’t do so well. Other portfolios artifacts might be writings, reports, drawings, maps, songs, video of accomplishments, photographs, documented digital projects, and and many other materials that prove what the student was able to learn and generalize into other academic contexts.

Measuring and reporting student progress via authentic assessment and portfolios encourages the student to become a self-directed learner. In doing so, it allows students to learn from experience, approach problems with flexibility, view situations in multiple ways, change as needed, and to recognize and appreciate the ebb and flow of personal growth.

References
Education Research Consumer Guide,(1993.Student portfolios: Administrative uses. Retrieved July 22, 2009 from http://www.ed.gov/pubs/OR/ConsumerGuides/admuses.html

Guilfoyle, C. (2006). NCLB: Is there life beyond testing? Educational leadership. Retrieved July 22, 2009 from http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational_leadership/nov06/vol64/num03/NCLB@_Is_There_Life_Beyond_Testing%C2%A2.aspx

Muller, J. (2008). What is authentic assessment? Authentic Assessment Toolbox. Retrieved July 22, 2009 from http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/toolbox/whatisit.htm#definitions

No comments:

Post a Comment