Friday, November 27, 2009

Professional Learning Communities; PLC's

Professional Learning Communities (PLC’s)

There are so many reasons why teachers resist PLC's. Personally, I have been on some wonderful PLC's and some... not so good.

Here's the problem from my individual standpoint as a rank and file educator. In other words, I’m being totally biased.

I have witnessed many benefits from working in a PLC, probably more benefits than not, but I also understand why people are reluctant. Speaking for myself (and including some of the attitudes and opinion of my former colleagues) I have come up with some alternative reasons why people resist PLC’s.

Administrators say that PLC’s are needed to increase student learning, but in reality, many teachers believe the main purpose is to increase student test scores. Test scores and learning are not the same.

People do not always trust their colleagues

People don’t always trust their administration

Repeat… people don’t always trust their administration

People hate being forced to do anything… especially if the reason seems like a waste of time or smells nefarious.

PLC’s do indeed take away from vital school duties

No comments:

Post a Comment